Monday, December 22, 2008

After Trip Thoughts

Everytime after a backpacking trip,
I wanted to do more.
Every trip is different, and I learn different things.
.
.
.
I am still a big advocate of backpacking.
Backpacking normally allow us to see more than the superficial buildings and landscapes.
I always meet people, lotsa interesting people.
To me, backpacking was not just about the great monuments,
but the great moments that invoke thoughts and emotions.
I could just stop at a vista point and enjoy the view, the wind and the sun.
No hurrying to another destination.
No other tourists and vendors around me.
Just myself.
When I am tired, I would rest.
When I am bored, I would move on.
I am free.
(well, at least for that period)
.
.
If you haven't done any backpacking, hope my amaturish blog would trigger your interest. =)
.
.
.
Traveling opens our eyes.
I learn to appreciate the difference between cultures and people.
On the surface level, we may look and behave differently, but in reality, we are the same.
The World is so beautiful.
It is a gift.
Let's learn to appreciate it before it's too late.
.
.
.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
.
.
.
This trip re-affirms my decision as a flexitarian (semi-vegetarian)
.
I admitted that I ate 2 spoonful of minced chicken from Jon's dish.
It was an urge. I felt kinda guilty now.
.
.
.
I saw how animals are being treated.
I am glad that I am not part of the equation that cause their sufferings.
.
.
.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
.
.
.
Friends and Family asked me why Burma?
.
.
.
Prior to the trip, I was abit worried that I would be disppointed.
But now, I was really happy that I went to Burma.
.
.
.
One of the traveler mentioned that Burma is like a country trapped in time.
It is in an unique and unfortunate situation and you can only visit it NOW to experience it.
I am a FIRM believer that good will triumph over the evil.
The evil military regime will not last long.
History had shown that power obtained by brute violence will not prevail.
It will collapse eventually, as the underlying values are totally flawed.
.
.
.
Visiting Burma during Military Regime is an experience by itself.
.
.
.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
.
.
.
People also asked me about the poverty in Burma
.
.
.
I would say that it is different from other countries. When I was on the street of Calcutta, the poverty of the place would be right smack into your face - kids scavenging in rubbish heap.
Jon asked me an interesting question that set me thinking.
He asked if there is anything in Buddhist teaching that disallow begging.
I told him that I don't think so. At least, I saw alot of beggars on street of Lhasa (Tibet).
We know that Monks will go around asking for alms in the morning.
.
.
.
The surprising fact was that there ain't much beggars on the street. In fact, there are more beggars on street of New York City, San Francisco & Washington DC. Comparing to its neighbouring countries like India, China, Thailand etc.., I would say that there was almost no beggars in Burma. But Burma is one of the poorest country in the world, and the recent natural calamity made life worse.
.
.
.
Weird???
Look at this report:
.
.
.
This is extremely sad
Poverty and Oppression
.
.
.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
.
.
.
I am not rich.
I am not clever.
I am not hardworking.
I am not talented.
I am just lucky.
.
Lucky that I am born in a good country and caring family.
May be it was good karmas in my previous life?
May be it was just evolution randomness?
May be it was "God's will"?
.
.
.
What's so great about being lucky?
That's why I respect ordinary Burmeses who are working hard and living an honest living.
Life is hard, but they persist on.
Like Alex.
.
.
.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
.
.
.
While on the 15-hour boat ride, I was reading about the history of Bagan back in 10th-12th centuries. It dawned on me that millions had lived before me and millions will live after me.
I am just a grain of dust floating in the time of the universe - so small and insignificant.
Upon this realisation, there was a HUGE sense of relief and freedom.
I could feel the sense of vastness of the time and world.
Why should I be bothered with all my insignificant concerns?
Why don't I just travel and enjoy what the world has to offer?
Anyway,
I am just a passerby trying to enjoy my journey.
.
.
.

5 comments:

  1. I must say that I was really touched after reading your blog. You are so sensitive to life and so expressive about your appreciation, I find a voice in you that I wish I had.

    Keep on writing and traveling, continue to live your life to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. its so great u are still doing this, most of us are sucked into the luxury of our own lives to step out of this comfort zone to see what the world is like outside of our shortsightedness.... keep on going !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the nice comments.
    I hope i could sustain this level of energy and enthusiasm. I am also afraid that I would not be curious and enthusiastic about living, and taking living for granted.
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You mention oppression a lot. I actually didn't feel that way when I was there. Life was hard, but the people didn't seem any different from the rest of us - just ekeing out a living as life goes on...

    Got to say that I was 'oppressed' as a foreigner. We managed to hunt down a place with Internet after searching ages, some private school looking place. But we got turned out (very politely of course) as foreigners were banned from using the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sumin,

    In fact, I was making the same comment as you during the first few days. I was saying that I do not see oppression, as people is just poor like any other developing countries, but they looked generally happy.

    I guess, I wrote this blog on the hindsight, after interacting with locals and reading more reports about Myanmar, then it dawned on me that its oppression is subtle and invisible initially. sometime, we just mistaken it for poverty.

    Limitation of interaction with outside world & foreigners is DEFINITELY oppression.

    For example: I realised that one of the guides that I met was very careful while talking to me. He suggested to meet an another place to discuss in depth.

    ReplyDelete