Monday, December 22, 2008

Mandalay - Mingun Area

After Inle Lake, we decided to head to Mandalay - the second biggest city in Myanmar.
It used to be the last capital of Myanmar before the British took over. It was supposedly the cultural center of the country, unfortunately, we did not experience much of that. We felt that the area around Mandalay are more interesting, and given the limited time, we stayed in Mandalay without exploring the city.
.
.
.
Mingun is about 11km upriver from Mandalay. We took a 45min ferry up the Ayeyarwady river, and upon arrival, we heard people asking if we needed taxi.
.
.
.

The Driver and his Taxi-Cart. haha...
.
.
.


Mingun Paya
.
.
According to the LP,
If King Bodawpaya had succeeded in his grandiose scheme, Mingun might now boast the world's largest zedi. Thousands of slaves and prisoners of war laboured to build the massive stupa, beginning in 1790. Work halted in 1819 when Bodawpaya died, leaving a brick base that stands about a third of the intended height of the stupa. An earthquake split the monument in 1838 and reduced it to partial rubble - possibly the world's largest pile of bricks. It currently stands at 50m high.
.
.
.

Compare the crack on the left and the size of the monk at the entrance.

.

.

.

Jon @ the top of the Mingun Paya

.

.

.

Pretty and Adorable Girl
.
.
.


Pretty Nun
.
.
.


Mingun Bell
.
In 1808, Bodawpaya had a gigantic bell cast to go with his gigantic zedi. Weighing 90,000kg, it is claimed to be the largest hung, uncracked bell in the world. There is said to be a larger bell in Moscow, but it is cracked.
.
.
.


Hsinbyume Paya
.
.
.


Girl sitting at a corner...
.
.
.
This girl caught my attendion jus by sitting quietly at a corner but I walked away. However, at the back of my mind, I knew that I really wanted to take pictures of her. I went back and took some close-up pictures. I am glad that I went back.
I love this picture.
.
.
.

Sad expression
.
.
.


Human beings are not doing well.
What about Animal???
.
.
.

Relaxing and Enjoying the Ferry ride
My new Burmese Slipper
Everybody wears slipper in Myanmar
I like it
=)
.
.
.


Laundry and Bathing time
.
.

1 comment: